How to pass SBL – Tips and Techniques
This is a technical article on how to pass SBL and SBL Tips and Techniques for students.
- One of the issues students face in the exams is to handle the case study in the allotted time.
- To handle this exam effectively and efficiently, You, must plan your paper for 40 to 50 Mins at least and then start a draft answering the answers…
- If you think that it is just a combo of P1 and P3 sorry folks you are absolutely wrong here. A lot of new techniques are involved in it.
- Another thing which makes this paper the unique it has 80 Knowledge marks and 20 Professional Marks, and if you plan that you will focus on Knowledge area and ignore the Professional marks and Strategy it is folks
- To get those professional marks you must work on these professional skills Communication, Commercial Acumen, Analysis, Scepticism, and Evaluation.
- You must know, how to Apply knowledge into the application of Scenarios
- Learn concepts and how to draft answers and pass this Beast paper
The Recommended approach
- Read information in the sequence (Background, List of exhibits, task, exhibits)
- Link tasks to exhibits when reading exhibits
- Highlight relevant and useful information
- Once scenario read, read requirements again
- Be certain about what is being asked
- Rule of AND
- No professional marks if technical answer incorrect
Writing Skills in SBL Tips and Techniques
- Sentences should be short and to the point
- Each point in a separate paragraph
- Leave space between the paragraph
- include heading and subheadings but not excessively so
- Answer Questions in Numerical Order (Preferred)
- Don’t define the framework
- The Formate: Cant get full professional marks if formats not used correctly
- Making the most important or crucial points.
- Only making relevant points and not including extra information or wrong or unsupported points.
- A not repeating point already made.
- Use short sentences
- Use headings to break down information into the clearly identifiable section
In the words of the examiner
250 minutes available
-40 minutes: Read the case study, plan the answer (Read all pages end to end, know where to find relevant information easily when writing)
-200minutes: individual requirements:
prepare for and answer (100 marks so 2 minutes per mark)
-allocate time for each part
-No point in skimming through the paper-
no choice in the exam
-Read info in the sequence given
-Link task to exhibits when readings
-highlight relevant and useful information
Analyzing the requirements
-Be certain about what is being asked
-No professional marks if technical answer incorrect
-Rule of AND
-Translate into your native Language
-Plan the whole exam before answering any part of the paper because of the integrated nature of the case information.
-One requirement may directly or indirectly relate to the next one
-Can cross reference answer instead of wasting time
-Decide how many points need to be made
(1 mark for 1 point usually in SBL- another mark for the same point possibly if fully
-Use syllabus and previous knowledge when identifying points you will later write but link it to the case
-Be aware of the professional marks
-Get into the character of the task
-be aware of what you are being asked to do and who they answer is for (the audience)
-Answer the requirement
-The breadth of issues (Depth of the discussion by applying syllabus knowledge to the scenario but not excessive).
-Sentences should be short and to the point (2-4 sentences for each point)
-Each point in separate paragraphs
-Include headlines and subheadings but not excessively so
Share these Articles with your friends!
Read More: Exam tips for Audit & Assurance
Follow us on Facebook